Instead of lumping my library borrows with my bought gems, I decided to make a new column, Checking Out. This edition of Checking Out is one of an accidental nature. I had the second and third books of the Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch on hold. The third book had come in and the second was on its way. I went in to pick it up hoping that maybe the mail would come in while I was there. This didn’t happen. But the librarians are crafty and clever at our library and put the holds shelf pretty damn close to the New Books and Lucky Chance shelves. The Lucky Chance program is a way for people to get those high demand books without having to put a hold on it. There are no renewals on them and it’s pretty much first come first serve. I’ve gotten a few great books this way. And this visit was no different.
- The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. The book I originally went in to pick up
- The Red Lily Crown by Elizabeth Loupas
- Dark Aemilia: A Novel of Shakespeare’s Dark Lady by Sally O’Reilly
- I Don’t know What You know Me From by Judy Greer. I actually took this one back the next day and bought the audio. I love listening celebrity bios read by the authors
- The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan
In case you were wondering, the second book did show up, about an hour after I got back home…
Has this happened to you? Gone in for a specific book and walked out with more?