I’m hoping to get some posts up soon, but we swapped internet providers kind of (we went from Comcast business to Xfinity) and we’re still working out the kinks. I just wanted to stop in and do a little book check in.
On Sunday my husband went in to start the outline of the sleeve tattoo he’s masterminding (it’s going to be intense) so for eight hours it was just me and the spawn. They were allowed a day of Wii-U and I settled down with a stack of books I’d been neglecting. I got so much finished! Some had been ones I’d been working on for awhile and some I managed to finish in one sitting.
- Sex Criminals Vol 2. by Matt Fraction(print)- Another solid installment. I like saving SC as a trade. It’s definitely one of those binge comics for me. If I didn’t do the trade I totally see myself letting it stack up until I had the complete arc anyway.
- Ms. Marvel Vol 2. by G. Willow Wilson (print) – MM is the same for me. I like having this chunk of storyline to read instead of just a sliver. Loved the Wolverine cameo.
- The Geek’s Guide to Dating by Eric Smith (print) – I thought it was a mostly fun read. The friend zone section kind of made me sad, but all in all, I’m glad it wasn’t of another pick-up-artist nature.
- In Real Life by Cory Doctorow (print) – I used to play World of Warcraft years ago and this one struck a cord with me. Go for the art and stay for the message.
- Island of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Munaweera (print) – This was an impulse buy from my local when I saw it on their signed shelf. I was not disappointed.
- Dark Debt by Chloe Neill (ebook) – This is the latest in Neill’s Chicagoland Vampire series. I’m pretty sure the series is getting close to finishing up and I’m still hooked. I like a lot of snark with my violence so this was on the mark as usual.
- War Dances by Sherman Alexie (print)- My first Alexie! I was enthralled which says a lot since I have a hard time with short stories. I need to pick up some of his other ones next.
- Men Explain Things To Me by Rebecca Solnit (Scribd) – Loved this collection of essays. Like Bad Feminist it struck a lot of cords with me.
That was just one day! In the last few days I also finished a few.
- Empress by Shan Sa (Oyster) – I was almost 50% through before I remembered I’d read this before. I wasn’t sure because it’s similar to Empress Orchid by Anchee Min which I’ve also read. I finished it anyway because I couldn’t exactly remember how it ended. Well worth the reread.
- The Fair Fight by Anna Freeman (ebook)- Amanda from Book Riot has been RAVING about this one. Still, silly me, I took her ravings with a grain of salt. Silly me. I kept getting mad when I had to put it down to help out the kiddos with something. It’s probably one of my favorites of the year so far. Go get it. Now!
What’s your reading been like so far this week?